Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"I've had thousands of hits on Realtor.com but only a few showings. What gives?"


It's something I have heard from a few sellers over the past few years. What are your thoughts on the role of Internet home searching and the correlation to the number of showings on listings? Here are my opinions. What do you think?
1. The Internet serves as a virtual real estate agent. I have actually started using this train of thought in my listing presentation. My team spends so much money on Realtor.com to give the most exposure possible to our clients. With 9 out of 10 people starting their search on the web, buyers are doing the weeding out virtually instead of by visiting the home. I think this is especially true when someone types in that they want a home on a half acre lot. They get excited because the house has everything they are looking for. Granite, hardwood floors, stately trees and a half acre. Then they realize that the house is set back so there's hardly any backyard. So instead of needing to see the home in person, you can eliminate it because you were able to see online that it wouldn't work. Oh well, scratch that off the list, which brings me to my next point.

2. The criteria we set for our clients may not be the same they set for themselves. I can't tell you how many times my clients will send me a home that has them all geeked up about seeing it. Then I am like a needle popping their balloon when they find out the master is on the second floor and not the first floor. The criteria we can search for is much more focused than that on the Internet searches. So, mark that one off too.

3. Looking for homes on the Internet is a HOBBY. There are many people that just love everything real estate. They watch every HGTV, TLC and Discovery Channel show known to man. They are like the MacGyver of remodeling taking used toilet paper rolls and making napkin rings. They constantly check out homes on every website that's out there. Face it. People just love the ins and outs of this business!

That's my two cents. What has your experience been?

1 comment:

Colored With Memories said...

i think you are right on...esp w/#3...i am on realtor.com often and have no plans on buying a home any time soon!

kerry