As I was driving through the city of Highland Village, Texas, I started thinking how much I love the area that I live and work in. It's easy to be thankful for all we have this time of year but when there are so many daily reminders, I started thinking about all the reasons I love where I live!
1. It's hard not to find Santa at every turn, at every event and causing kids to be panicked and frantic just at the mention of his name. We have seen Santa six times and it hasn't gotten any easier for my 16 month old (pictured here). This was a morning with Santa at the local paint-your-own-pottery store, Color Me Mine. Each kid painted a mug or plate complete with story time with Santa.
2. After a few years off, the city fire department started back with their tradition of Santa riding on the fire truck through the streets of Highland Village. Sirens blaring, lights a gazing, and Santa on top of the truck waving and ho-ho-hoing. Such a fun night!
3. On a walk the other day, my daughter was riding her bide with recently removed training wheels on a street with a yet-to-be-completed housing development. I typically take my dog off the leash to run around and explore. I was just about to put her back on the leash when a police officer whipped around the corner. Uh-oh. He had a piece of paper out that I was sure to be a ticket. No, instead, he handed my daughter a coupon for a free kid's meal from Chick-fil-a and thanked her for wearing her helmet. I looked on the city website and found that the police department has actually partnered with local businesses to hand out free coupons to safe bike riders. Wow, what a great idea!
4. Over the past two years or so, I have really tried to shop local and pay more attention to stores, businesses and owners who live in my community. Our outdoor mall opened in November 2007 and this is the first year that I really spent a lot of time there. While I realize that the majority of the stores are nationally-known franchises, there are still owners and managers that live in this area. Plus, tax dollars are always helpful :) There are always great activities at The Shops and this time of year, we have "Our Village Glows". This is the time when the school choirs sing, cookie decorating happens and the enormous Christmas tree is lit for all to see. It's really a wonderful event and so much fun to celebrate the Christmas season and the holiday spirit!
5. For the past eight years, Highland Village has been named the "Safest City in North Texas". Quite an honor
Whether you need a sitter for an hour or three on "date night", Kiddin' Around drop in playcare in Highland Village is a great choice. With a great staff and very reasonable rates, you will love Kiddin' Around!
After five years in real estate, I couldn't imagine going back to work for someone else. It's a day like I had yesterday that reminds me of that.
I love Wednesdays because that is the day my son goes to the grandparents and I get a day to myself...until 3 pm. That's when my five year old gets off the kindergarten school bus and we get a little "girl time". It's great to be able to do my work before she gets home and then it's play time!
Side note...my parents just closed on a house close to us and decided to have a car shipped here to get a break on the insurance. We now have the little Lexus convertible for the next three months. We "have to" drive it once a week to keep from draining the battery.
Trinity asked if we could take the convertible. Good idea I thought despite the torrential rain we had earlier in the day and no baby brother. I loaded up her booster seat in the back and with the top down, we were ready to roll.
"Turn up the music Mom!" she requests. This is the same girl who wanted to go faster on the wave runner. If this is any indication into what the teenage years are going to be like, I am in trouble!
After showing two houses, we went to get her a new pair of shoes and then to a movie. After the movie let out, it was a beautiful evening so the top goes down again. She has a friend who loves Taylor Swift and Trinity has been hammering me to turn on "She wears high heels" for months. I don't have on demand in my car nor did I buy the song on iTunes.
So you can imagine my delight when THAT song came on while on our drive home! Singing the song, wind blowing through our hair, arms in the air. In 10 years we won't remember the shoes that were bought or the movie we saw, but I guarantee we will have fond memories of that time we heard Taylor Swift in Ama's convertible.
For most people, buying or selling a car is about as fun as getting a root canal. Gary Charlton Motors is your hometown, independent car dealership creating a stress-free, fast and easy buying experience. If you're in the market for a used car, need repairs on your current car or you want a trusted professional to sell your car, give Gary Charlton a call. He's a trusted friend and business associate!
Brilliant Sky Toys and Books is a fun and innovative specialty toy store in Highland Village, TX. The store is filled with bright colors, kid-friendly displays and unique toys. They have events the whole family will enjoy throughout the year. Stop by and pick up some classic toys, things with four wheels, or characters that make your collection!
It's the day Highland Village residents have dreaded/waited for for years.
I received the following email today from Jo Lynn Tefft, the Castlewood Community Manager.
TXDOT has opened part of FM2499 from Orchard Hill south. The Castlewood back entrance/exit (Castlewood Blvd/Northwood & FM2499) is open. Please be aware that this is a two-way stop; the cross traffic on FM2499 does not stop. At our main entrance (Castlewood Blvd/Highland Shores Blvd & FM2499) there is currently a four-way stop. However, several times today, vehicles did not stop going southbound on FM2499 through the intersection. Please use caution at both intersections.
We have enjoyed many family walks on the deserted bridge but I guess that is coming to an end. Drive safe everyone!
Welcome to Trends With Tricia! It's my goal to assist you with your real estate needs and to just shed some light on the ever-changing world of real estate! Please check out my Helpful Links to find websites for information on mortgages, homes for sale, school rankings and more. I am part of a very talented team, Team Nelson. If you need the help of quality real estate agents who care more about the relationship with clients than just a paycheck, don't hesitate to contact me!
I am a real estate agent with Team Nelson serving the North Texas area including Highland Village, Flower Mound, Argyle, Copper Canyon, Southlake, Colleyville and the surrounding areas. I have earned my e-PRO and ALHS designations. The e-PRO indicates I am committed to using the latest technology to list and sell properties for my clients. The ALHS designation stands for Accredited Luxury Home Specialist, which prepares and educates me to successfully provide service to high-end and luxury clients.
I love my job, but love my family more! I have a wonderful soccer coach husband and an amazing daughter!