Monday, June 15, 2009

Is It Any Wonder People Don't Vote?

I am proud to say that I have voted since I was 18 years old. I would get my absentee ballot while in college in Iowa and have voted in every presidential election.
I haven't, however, voted in all my city and local elections mainly because of ignorance. I don't want to vote on something I don't feel educated about and to be honest, I didn't really take the time to learn what the issues were and what the consequences would be.
But, I did vote in this past city election in Highland Village. The current city council makes me wish I had voted in previous years. With what has been going on the past few years, mainly speaking of the dismantle of our quiet community to make way for a 4-6 lane highway right through our neighborhood, it's a wonder people even vote at all. For a city of 15,000 people to only have just over 1100 voters turn out is pretty sad. No, not pretty sad...SAD. We have early voting for over a week and the regular voting is from 7am-7pm on a Saturday! Can't stop by at some point?
The major issue in our city for the past 7+ years now is the extension of 2499. There was overwhelming displeasure for this to go through. The Marcus HS gym was stuffed to the gills and people waiting outside to let their displeasure be heard. Even though there was so much support to block this, the Council went forward with it. Vested interest in the project completion? What else could it be? No right-minded person wants to see hundreds of mature oak trees replaced with concrete walls and Hummers!
So with an over 80% of approval of the communities to do something to keep traffic to a minimum on this 2499 expansion, what does the Council do? Sends an attorney out with the results that sorry folks, we don't care what you think. We are going to do what we want. Thus, my argument. Even at the lowest level of civic government, there is more than meets the eye. Do council members truly care about what their citizens want? I am not on a witch hunt nor do I think that EVERY city is like this, but with two glaring examples of flat out not listening to concerns for safety, security and continued low crime, what else can you say? Maybe low voter turn out isn't just apathy...it's disgust!

No comments: