Monday, December 22, 2008

My Favorite Gift to Give This Christmas

I was thinking about some of the best gifts I have ever received from Christmas' past. The one that sticks the most out in my mind was the pink Huffy bike when I was probably 8 or 9. It didn't have the dandy plastic basket or sparkly streamers hanging from the handlebars but it was pink. And I loved it.
It's pretty easy to just go buy gifts that have little or no meaning to us or the people we buy them for.
A friend of mine's mom recently passed away. As I tried to come up with a gift I could give this family for Christmas, I thought that maybe a tree in memory of her mother would be a constant reminder of her legacy. I came across www.ArborDay.org and was shocked and amazed at how little one needed to spend to contribute to saving our environment. For as little as $1 per tree, you could plant a tree in one of our nation's struggling forests. I purchased 25 trees in memory of my friend's mom that will attract a rare Warbler.
Did you know that for $15, you could purchase a year's membership to the Arbor Day Foundation and in return, you will be sent 10 FREE trees of your choice? I love this gift idea! I bought a membership for my husband, in-laws and an eco-concious friend of mine. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving!
I have had several friends this year bypass Christmas cards to help save a tree. I didn't, but I have in turn, pledged that 55 trees will be planted because I chose to give a gift that gave back!

1 comment:

Colored With Memories said...

well done...very thoughtful. i'll be checking out that arbor day site for sure.

have a merry christmas! and a safe trip!